- Main course: £12
- Food spend: £28
- Opening hours
- Monday to Saturday: 11:00 - 23:00 Sunday: 12:00 - 22:30.
Excellent menu, good wine. Lovely environment. Family friendly so be prepared for lots of kids!
04 January 2018
In a peaceful area of London, close to Hampstead Heath, The Freemasons Arms is a gastro pub serving modern British cuisine. With roaring open fires, large arched windows and a contemporary design, restaurant overlooks the outdoor dining area. This country-style pub is also home to the last remaining skittles club of its kind.
With chefs given the opportunity to train at cookery schools in Spain and Italy, The Freemasons Arms menu features modern signature recipes made using the finest available ingredients. As well as creative daily-changing specials, favourites include pan-fried sea bass fillets, crab and chorizo linguine, or spit-roasted chicken with lemon & garlic confit. A kids’ menu and Sunday roasts also feature, and desserts include rich vanilla and chocolate gelato with home-baked cookies.
The result of a treasured partnership with Rothschild wine merchants, the cellar showcases many fine wines, while token real ales and premium spirits are found at The Freemasons Arms bar. Nostalgic British nibbles and eclectic sharing platters bursting with international flavours offer more laidback dining.
The Freemasons Arms Hampstead is just a 4-minute walk from Hampstead Heath Tube Station.
The Freemasons Arms
32 Downshire Hill, Hampstead, London, NW3 1NT
See all restaurants in London
See all restaurants in Hampstead
Customer reviews for The Freemasons Arms
((((* 16 May 2017 by Helena from London
Food excellent, size of table very good, lots of space BUT the day we went (a Monday) coincided with a large party in another room so service was very very slow. Not the fault of the waiters, but it was lucky we weren't in any hurry. Prices very reasonable.
((*** 11 April 2017 by Guillaume from London
Very nice place but the food and the service (waiting time) have a lot of room for improvement
((*** 11 April 2017 by Bee from London
Overall I have to say that I always enjoyed The Freemasons food wise and service wise. We were there Sunday with a group of four people. We ordered chicken roast which had hairs in it and three carrot salads with half of the incredients showing on the menu. It was so busy that no waitress cared about our complaint. Not even a fresh meal was offered as a replacement. This is really sad that such a good pub lost the quality I am used to.
(**** 22 March 2017 by Mandana from London
I have never experienced such appalling service- the worst dining experience I have ever had.
- The booking was made for 3.15pm, on arrival told our table was still occupied, as pervious party had yet to finish their deserts and it would be another 20 minutes. After 20 mins told to wait another 5 to 10 mins, this was ongoing until we were finally seated at 4pm.
-Finally sat down, no one came to take our order for another half an hour. Once order was taken, took another 25mins for drinks to arrive.
- Consistent in failing to take our order on time and delivering within a reasonable period.
- Ordered food and starters at the same time, when startes were delivered asked for plates to share, this request was ignored and plates never arrived.
- After arriving at 3.15, due to all delays, we were not served our mains until 5.30pm.
- When the food finally arrived, they had made a mistake with our order. We complained and instead of being apologetic they argued with my mother and I, telling us we were the ones who had made the mistake.
- We attempted to order sparkling rose 3 times, they seemed confused about what this simple drink was and in the end told us they didn't have it!!
- When I made the booking, I told them we would be dining with a 2 year old and asked that they accommodate this. No efforts had been made to provide her with a high chair and when we requested one it took around an hour for them to bring one. The table who arrived long after us requested a high chair too which was delivered them before we received ours. Once they did they told us that they hadn't forgotten, they had just been looking for one and they seemed upset that we had questioned how long it had taken, as though we were at fault.
- We dealt with a lot of staff as the service was slow and chaotic, some stuff were upset when we complained and seemed to become hostile towards us
(((** 15 March 2017 by Roy from London
Lovely people, but service was dreadful. Four items on the menu not available. Everybody is really nice, but unfortunately part of the Living Dead. Or maybe the Stepford Wives analogy would be better, but without the service.
(((** 13 February 2017 by Olga from London
The food is average at best. Service is very bad. The location and the venue are excellent, on the other hand, for these 2 reasons the pub is popular despite food and service and therefore no attempts are ever made to improve those.
(((** 16 January 2017 by Jill from London
The food and service were good, but the restaurant was extremely noisy and it was hard to hear anyone in our group, so we left as soon as we could. I think it's important to fix this with some soft furnishings or other acoustic devices.
((((* 2 January 2017 by Hannah from London
A great roast, quite pricey but good quality food in a great location often is!
((((* 8 November 2016 by Emily from London
Really enjoyable evening with good food
((((( 25 October 2016 by Andrea from London
Lovely bright venue and although it was busy you did not feel hemmed in as the tables were nicely set apart. Pleasant staff and efficient service. Lots of variety on the menu. Had traditional English Roast (beef) and this was delicious. Meat was soft, vegetables just right with good seasoning and masses of flavour. Tasty Yorkshire pudding and crispy good quality potatoes. Staff were kept very busy yet maintained a good standard of cleanliness. Overall and lovely experience. Shall definitely return and hope to reserve Boxing Day lunch!
Book this restaurant
Menus available at
Sorry, there are no tables available for 2 people on this date.
Try searching for an alternative date.
Sorry, there was an error completing your search.Search again
Nearly done! Please enter your details
Your Contact Details
Deals direct to your inbox!
Hear about Bookatable’s top offers & book the best tables
Great deals coming your way soon